Sometimes you just want a fun cocktail but without the alcohol. A mocktail can happen for a variety of reasons: Dry January, taking medication, avoiding a hangover, or you simply just don't want the booze. Whatever your reason is, you deserve more than the standard seltzer and a lime or a virgin strawberry daiquiri.
A newer addition to our home bar are non-alcoholic distilled spirits. These are distilled with interesting aromatics with the result being tasty spirits with all the flavor, but not the booze.
I’ve been having fun making classic cocktails with these non-alcoholic spirits and recently created the Social Mixers take on a virgin margarita. It keeps the traditional flavors of lime and orange but spices it up with our Ginger Lemongrass Simple Syrup. Seedlip Grove 42 replaces the tequila, resulting in a bright, festive drink that you can enjoy at any time!
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR A NON-ALCOHOLIC MARGARITA:
- 2 oz non-alcoholic spirit, such as Seedlip Grove 42 (see FAQs below for alternative to Seedlip)
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- ¾ oz Social Mixers Ginger Lemongrass Simple Syrup
- ¼ oz fresh orange juice
HOW TO MAKE AN EASY NON-ALCOHOLIC MARGARITA:
- Prep your glass: Pour a shallow layer of margarita or kosher salt into a saucer. Rim ½ of a rocks glass with a lime wedge. Roll this same ½ of the glass over the salt.
- Fill salt-rimmed glass with ice and set aside.
- In an iced-filled cocktail shaker, combine 2 oz. Seedlip Grove 42, 1 oz. fresh lime juice, ¾ oz Social Mixers Ginger Lemongrass Simple Syrup, and ¼ fresh orange juice.
- Shake all ingredients for at least 30 seconds to chill and combine.
- Strain into prepped glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel.
TIPS & TRICKS FOR THE BEST VIRGIN MARGARITA:
Lime juice can oxidize fairly quickly and develop a bitter taste. For the best flavor, use freshly squeezed lime juice.
If you don’t have an orange, you can substitute store bought orange juice.
When salting the rim of your glass, roll the outside of the rim on the salt. This prevents the salt from falling into the drink and makes for a nice finish.
We like to salt half of the glass, so we can get some non-salt sips in for variety. This is also nice if you make a margarita for someone who simply doesn’t care for salt. (Of course you can always skip the salt!)
This is an easy recipe to batch for a party! Just multiply the ingredients by the number of desired servings and combine it in a pitcher. You can even let folks salt and garnish their own glasses so they can personalize it a bit.
Can I make this without the non-alcoholic spirit?
Absolutely! You can leave out the Seedlip and replace it with 2 oz of club soda. (It’s still delicious and fun!)